What is breast asymmetry?
Breast asymmetry is defined as differences in breast shape, size, or nipple position from one side to the other. Most women have a slight degree of breast asymmetry that is inconsequential. However, significant breast asymmetry can be a source of distress and decreased self-esteem. Its cause can be congenital or acquired. Congenital breast asymmetry results from abnormal breast development which usually becomes noticeable during adolescence as the breasts mature. Congenital breast asymmetry can also be a part of a syndrome, such as Poland’s Syndrome. Acquired breast asymmetry can result from normal breast changes with aging and pregnancy or from cancer treatment, trauma, and previous surgery. Breast asymmetry can be treated with various surgical techniques including but not limited to breast augmentation, breast lift (mastopexy), breast reduction, liposuction and fat grafting. Every patient is unique. It is important to discuss your desires and goals with your board-certified plastic surgeon to design a customized surgical treatment plan.
Asymmetric breasts before and after photos
Who is a candidate for breast asymmetry surgery?
- Failure of breast to develop normally
- One breast is significantly larger or smaller than the other
- Breast shape varies between both breasts
- Nipple position is different on each breast mound
What are the risks of breast asymmetry surgery?
- The risks of breast asymmetry surgery vary depending on which surgical techniques is utilized
- Specific risks can be viewed under each procedure
What breast asymmetry surgery options are available?
Breast asymmetry surgeries are highly customizable and can easily be tailored to your specific needs. The treatment depends on your anatomy, medical history, and ideal outcome.
Possible procedures include:
- Breast augmentation: enlarge the uneven breast
- Breast reduction: reduce the size of one or both breasts
- Breast lift: improve the position of the breast and nipple on the chest
- Fat grafting or transfer: improve the size or shape of the breast
- Nipple repositioning: revise the nipple position on the breast
- Liposuction: reduce the size or improve the shape of the breast